- It will allow the recipients of remittances in Malawi to receive additional funds.
- It will encourage economic investments in Malawi from Malawians abroad.
- It will allow for transfer of remittances and money through the formal sector, thus increasing foreign currency flow.
- It will generate revenue through a tax system where dual citizens would pay some type of tax
- It will encourage capital investments into creation of businesses that generate jobs, goods and services.
- Overall, it will have the effect of increasing trade between the host countries.
- It will strengthen political ties between Malawi and the host countries that host Malawian Diasporas.
- Malawians abroad that hold government positions in their host countries will be better positioned to influence policy changes abroad that are mutually beneficial for Malawi and that host nation.
- Malawians that are in government positions back home can also benefit through networks and ties in the host countries (again clarify here, maybe use other words)
- The African Union's policies currently encourage member countries engaging the diaspora for investments, technology, and development. The AU encourages some form of dual citizenship program.
- It will strengthen democratic institutions in Malawi through citizens the interaction of individuals from countries with democratic institutions.
o It provides platform to mitigate the effects of the brain drain. Those that leave seeking education will be more likely to return for short-term or long term contracts due to legal employment authorization.
o Malawians in the Diaspora have an understanding of both foreign and Malawian culture. It provides them a unique position to exchange ideas, knowledge, expertise, and training that is suitable for the dynamics in Malawi.
o It will help Malawians abroad retain a sense of national identity and personal identity.
o It will prevent future generations of Malawians from losing ties or linkages to Malawi.
o It will promote Malawian culture in countries with Malawian Diaspora.
o It will provide a better quality of life for Malawians being supported by those in the diaspora, and Malawians in the diaspora.
o It will allow Malawians to travel freely between countries without obtaining additional documentation.
o It will allow Malawians with ancestral land that has been passed through generations to remain in the family without fear of it being lost.
o Malawians living in Malawi will be able to leave their land to their descendants that are in the Diaspora.
- It will allow Malawi to take advantage of Malawian Athletes abroad, by allowing them to compete internationally for Malawi in major sporting events like the Olympics or Football (soccer) competitions.
- It will allow entertainers
to promote the music and art of Malawi as Malawian citizens as
opposed to foreigners, hence spreading our cultural reach.
- It will allow Malawians abroad and in Malawi a feeling of greater connection to the rest of the world. The world is increasingly connected through technology, and this will facilitate Malawi’s integration in the new globalised world.
- Lastly, it will promote a culture that is inclusive of all Malawians in the true spirit of Malawian values like umunthu.